How to setup OpenVPN on Kali Linux. Before you begin, please make sure that:
- You must have an active internet connection
- A Premium Ivacy VPN account. If you haven’t subscribed yet, click here to subscribe to Ivacy VPN
This guide will walk you through setting up OpenVPN on Kali.
Before beginning to set up OpenVPN on a device running on Kali, you need to make sure you have a premium Ivacy account and the required OpenVPN configuration files.
- The required OpenVPN configuration files can be obtained here:https://support.ivacy.com/vpnusecases/openvpn-files-windows-routers-ios-linux-and-mac/. Use your preferred browser to download the ovpn zip file.
You will get a prompt asking what to do with the ZIP archive, select “Save File” and
click “OK”. It should be downloaded to your “Downloads” directory.
- Go to your “Downloads” directory, right click the ZIP archive and select “Extract Here” to extract the files.
- Now go to the ‘Menu’ option and search and open the ‘Terminal Emulator’
- Now you need to install OpenVPN packages. Type the following commands one by one:
• sudo apt-get update
• sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn
• sudo apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn-gnome
- Select the following options:
• Click on “Ethernet Network Connection“
• Go to “VPN Connections”
• Select “Add a VPN Connection…”
- Select ‘Import a saved VPN configuration’ option. Click on the “Create” button.
- Go to the Downloads directory, select the folder containing OpenVPN files i.e. ‘New OpenVPN Files’. Select the desired file with “.ovpn” extension. Click “Open” button.
- Now enter the following information:
Insert Connection name: Ivacy (Here we use Ivacy, you can change it any other name)
• Select Type: Password from drop down menu
• Insert Username provided by Ivacy
• Insert Password provided by Ivacy
• Click on folder icon from Certificate folder and add the ‘ca.crt.crt’ file.
• Click on ‘Save’
- Now go to the “Ethernet Network Connections” option and under “VPN Connections” click/check on the newly created “Ivacy” connection to activate VPN.
- You are now connected to Ivacy!