How to configure OpenVPN on Kubuntu
Don’t worry if you can’t run Ivacy on Kubuntu. Before you begin, please make sure that:
- You must have an active internet connection
- A Premium Ivacy VPN account. If you haven’t subscribed yet, click here to subscribe to Ivacy VPN
You can follow this guide to learn how to set up and configure Ivacy on Kubuntu using the OpenVPN protocol:
- Open the Terminal/ Konsole and type in following command to install the OpenVPN plugin. -Type: sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn and press Enter-Enter y to confirm the installation
- Now, close the Konsole and open your web browser (Firefox) to download the OpenVPN configuration files from below https://support.ivacy.com/vpnusecases/openvpn-files-windows-routers-ios-linux-and-mac/.
- Go to your ‘Downloads’ folder and extract the downloaded config files’ folder. It will extract the TCP and UDP folders.
- Click the Networks icon and select the Configure Network Connections option
- Click the + icon to add a VPN connection scroll down to the bottom, select “Import VPN Connection” and click “Create”.
- Go to the folder where you have downloaded the OpenVPN files and select your desired file to connect to.
- When a new window appears, enter the following information:
• Connection Name: Ivacy
• Gateway: Already chosen/entered
• Connect Type: Choose Password from the drop-down menu.
• Username: Your Ivacy username
• Password: Your Ivacy password
Once done, click the Folder icon next to CA Certificate and upload the ca.crt.crt file.
- Next, click Advanced.
- From the General tab, use the following settings:• Check the Use custom gateway port Insert 53 for UDP and 80 for TCP.
Note: For TCP connection, check the Use a TCP connection box.
In the Security tab, use the following settings:• Cipher: Select AES-256-CBC
• HMAC Authentication: Select SHA-1From TLS Settings, do the following:• Mode = TLS-Auth
• Key File = Click the Folder icon next to Key File. Go to OpenVPN downloaded folder, select Wdc.key and then Open.
• Key Direction = 1
- Once done, click Ok.
- Click Apply and close the Network Connections.
- Next, click the Networks icon and select the newly created VPN connection. Click the Connect button to connect to Ivacy.Viola! You are now connected.