Yes, and it is called “Virtual Router” sharing. You can connect various devices, e.g. iPhone, Android, laptops, tablets etc. All you need is a Windows 7 laptop or PC having a Wireless card. There are several ways to do this:
- http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/ (A free application, may be downloaded and installed on a Windows 7 machine. Easy to use UI for setup and sharing)
- If you still need more assurance and are inclined towards built-in features (given you have a Windows 7 machine) you may try these steps:
- First of all, check whether your LAN card supports this Virtual Router feature. Open up command prompt by locating cmd in ‘Start menu’, right-clicking and selecting “Run as administrator”. Then run this command: ‘netsh wlan show drivers’. If you could locate this line anywhere in listed details: “Hosted network supported: Yes” that means your WiFi card supports “Virtual Router” feature.
- Now it’s time to set it up. In the same command prompt window type these two commands (one by one) ‘netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Ivacy key=YourOwnPassword’, ‘netsh wlan start hostednetwork’ (Devices will detect network SSID as “Ivacy”. Use password as YourOwnPassword or whatever you want). If you get the error “The hosted network couldn’t be started…” that probably means your Wi-Fi card driver is outdated, update your LAN driver to the latest version offered by your vendor then try again).
- Now the VPN connection needs to be set up manually on your system since auto-dialer won’t work! Let’s say you’ve put a name of the VPN connection as “Ivacy Network”. Click on the ‘Wi-Fi signal bar icon’ in your system tray and then click on “Open Network and Sharing Center”.
On the new window locate and click on “Change adapter settings”.
Right click on the adapter that reads “Ivacy-Network” and go to “Properties”. On the new window that appears locate the “Sharing” tab.
On ‘Sharing’ screen tick mark “Allow other network’s user to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” and from the drop down below select “Virtual AP”.
Hit OK. That’s it – Now’ connect to VPN and Enjoy privacy with Ivacy.
Many Wi-Fi enabled devices can now share this VPN connection like a “Virtual Router”.
Note: Every time you’ll restart your computer, you will need to run this command: ‘netsh wlan start hostednetwork’ (In order to automate you may have to create a batch file to run this automatically on boot up).